Monday, August 6, 2012

challenges of vacation: is there such a thing?

We have serious vacation fever. I mean serious. It always gets like this for Phil and I. We wait until the very end of the summer to schedule our vacation thinking it will give us that "aaaaahhhh!" feeling we're yearning for when we leave for the airport, but we always ends up with this stressed out, scream-until-it-comes last two weeks before we leave.

[Phil and I posing happy and calm at the beginning of the summer for our anniversary.]


[Teetering on insanity for vacation.]


The last four years we have been taking vacation the first week in September to visit his family down in Florida. Phil's niece and nephew weren't of grade school age yet so we would miss all of the crowds as the older kids go back to school, plus it was just in the tip of my fall season, so it was still fair game with the clients. Waiting this late for vacation is not fun anymore, it's TORTURE. So what did we decide to do? Move it only ONE WEEK EARLIER. Stupid. Needless to say, we are itching for beach, sun and as Phil likes to say "relaxation station".

[Last year's vacation with his family.]


Prepping to be gone from the office for 10 whole days is hard. Tying up loose ends with clients, making sure there are no final questions for emails to be answered and simply cleaning up my workspace to come home ready to tackle the fall season will be on my agenda for the next 3 weeks. Oh, and along with the wine dates with vendors to say farewell and squeezing in those last minute coffees with clients to assure them they won't go insane while I'm gone. Alright, alright, it feels like I'll be gone for months--but just 10 days, I promise!
(I'm not going to mention the inbox upon my return, okay?)

Here is what's up with me for the next three weeks:

To keep calm and a level head: Running my butt off, literally. My mom will certainly stay on top of me for this one. In a moment of persuasion, I signed up for my second half marathon.

To keep the business running and the clients happy: Crossing off every single item on my to-do list. And the ever growing one until August 23rd.

To return with a sense of organization and freshness: Cleaning my shamefully messy office.


I would love to hear how you tackle running a business or working a demanding job and prepping/taking a vacation! Do you find prepping to leave town is a job in and of itself? Are you fully able to relax once on vacation? We'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! Walking away is SO HARD! But you have a good team and you have totally earned this time to recharge. Congrats on the next half marathon. You rocked the first one and you will totally own the second one.

    ReplyDelete